Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT Lanes Work Started as of June 24, 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-For-HOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOT Lanes Work Started as of June 24, 2008
    Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 11:08am
TRAFFIC/TRANSIT/TRAVEL ADVISORIES (FROM WTOP News):

HOT LANES:

Preparation for the HOT Lane (High Occupancy Toll Lane) project has already started on the Capital Beltway; this week work starts on the HOT lane project on I-95/395.

Tuesday through Thursday, between 9:30 a.m. And 2:30 p.m., VDOT will shut down the shoulder on I-95 South from exit 148, Russell Road to exit 143, Garrisonville Road (Route 610). Soil testing is taking place.

That same work will happen at the same time Tuesday through Friday on I-95 south from just before exit 152, Dumfries Road (Route 234) to exit 150, Joplin Road (Route 619).

On I-95 North, between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., the shoulder will be closed for soil sampling between exit 150, Joplin Road (Route 619) to just after exit 152, Dumfries Road (Route 234). That work will happen Wednesday through Friday.

Also be aware there will be rolling single lane closures in the HOV lanes from exit 152; Dumfries Road (Route 234) to the Pentagon. Crews will be testing the road surface Wednesday through Friday between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 11:17am
From VDOT:

News Release
www.VirginiaDot.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 10, 2008
NR08-95HL4

TRAFFIC ADVISORY: Day and Night closures for I-95/I-395 HOT Lanes Pre-Project, July 14-18, 2008

The Virginia Department of Transportation announces the following lane closures along I-95/ 395 from Route 610, Garrisonville Road to the Pentagon as part of project development for the I-95/395 HOT Lanes project:

HOV Lane closures- Night work

When: Monday through Friday, July 14-18, 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
What: Left lane closure
Where: I-395 north, just after Route 7; King Street
Why: Test bore

I-95/395 North

When: Monday through Thursday, July 14-17, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Friday, July 18, 9:30 a.m. to noon.
What: Right lane of exit ramp closure
Where: I-395 north, Off ramp Exit 6; Shirlington

When: Monday through Thursday, July 14-17, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Friday, July 18, 9:30 a.m. to noon.
What: Left Lane closure
Where: I-95 north at Exit 2; Edsall Road Route 648;

When: Monday through Thursday, July 14-18, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Friday, July 18, 9:30 a.m. to noon.
What: Right shoulder closure
Where: I-95 north at
Exit 2; Edsall Road Route 648
Exit 166; Fairfax County Parkway Route 7100
Exit 163; Lorton Road Route 642
just after Exit 158; Prince William County Parkway Route 3000

When: Monday through Thursday, July 14- 17, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Friday, July 18, 9:30 a.m. to noon.
What: Left shoulder closure
Where: I-95 north before Exit 156; Dale City boulevard

What: Left shoulder closures
Where: I-95 north
just after Exit 148; Russell Road
just after Exit 143; Garrisonville Road

I-95 South

What: Left shoulder closure
Where: I-95 south before Exit 148; Quantico

HOV Rolling closures – Night work

When: Monday through Friday, July 14-18, 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
What: Left and right lane closure (one at a time)
Where: HOV lanes from Pentagon south to Exit 152; Dumfries Road Route 234
Why: Test bores and surface testing

# #

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 7:18pm
NoSUV,
If you're going to copy and paste a news release, please link it directly. It was not in the news releases of the virginiadot.org site, yet that's the one you put a link to.

Here's the link to the PDF.

http://www.virginiahotlanes.com/documents/Traffic-Advisory-071708.pdf

If you're really bored, you can watch this nice movie they have posted! It's supposed to show "how HOT lanes work."

http://www.virginiahotlanes.com/video/Gantry_FINAL_hires_20070521_2.wmv
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 2:22pm
I got it exactly that way from my supervisor.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 3:13pm
It's not the stated policy here, but on other sites I frequent, you are not allowed to repost news/articles without linking to the original source.

It's just good policy to do that so that people can instantly see that what you've posted is legit. I had to search the Internet for the news release when I could not find it on the site you linked to.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 11:37am
I doubt NoSUV has the time to make up bogus news releases and post them on random message boards.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 3:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

I doubt NoSUV has the time to make up bogus news releases and post them on random message boards.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2

Ceejay,
It has nothing to do with that. I found the news release on another site and posted the link myself. It's because posting a link to the "source" of the info that does not lead to that info is something that should be avoided.

On other message boards, a warning would be posted in the thread to "link it or lose it" and it would be deleted after an hour or two unless the original poster updated the info with a correct link.

Why don't you go look at the video which explains how HOT lanes work and report back? :p
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 9:18am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC

quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

Ceejay,
It has nothing to do with that. I found the news release on another site and posted the link myself. It's because posting a link to the "source" of the info that does not lead to that info is something that should be avoided.

On other message boards, a warning would be posted in the thread to "link it or lose it" and it would be deleted after an hour or two unless the original poster updated the info with a correct link.

Why don't you go look at the video which explains how HOT lanes work and report back? :p

I'm toomuchcoffeelady, not ceejay.

Also, I do not remember seeing a "link it or lose it" rule for this discussion board.

And watch the video yourself if it's that important to you.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 8:11am
It's bad manners to post a link with your reposted material that does not lead to the reposted material. Even if unintentional, it implies that the info came from that site.

I don't doubt NoSUV thought that the news release was posted at vdot's site, but it was not.

I've seen the video already. It "shows how HOT lanes will work".
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 9:22am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC

I've seen the video already. It "shows how HOT lanes will work".

Wait, I've seen this place before! These HOT lanes exist in some far away place, its called Fantasy Land!

If this video is supposed to show how HOT lanes will work, they left out a bunch of stuff: what about the entry and exit back-ups when the "variable fares" change, or the backups caused by busses? Also the cars in this video are all wrong; they should all be Mercedes, BMWs and Lexuses, because the average Joe can't afford to pay $1.90 a mile. And the video should include planes overhead with bags of toll and taxpayer money flying away, from the local economies in the USA to Australia. Finally, the non-HOT lane traffic (the gray vehicles in this video) is moving much slower than the HOT lanes; wrong. It will be a parking lot! Finally, the video left out the smiling faces of VDOT and Flour executives in the windows of the buildings who will have succeeded in a huge swindle of the US taxpayer. This video also left out the struggling middle class commuter who now must dig even deeper into their pockets to pay yet another government imposed cost of living.

HOT is highway robbery! Barbara Reese is a pirate!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic