Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugging Etiquette Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slugging Etiquette Question
    Posted: 29 May 2008 at 9:10am
Is it OK (In the world of slug etiquette, that is) for a slug passenger to knit during the ride in? Yeah, I know 12-inch pointy bamboo spikes aren't the most innocent looking things, but when carried by a petite woman in a business suit with a government badge?

This is my first week slugging so bear with me...

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 9:20am
I would just ask the driver if it's OK. If the driver is worried about them being dangerous or even that they might mar the leather seats, he should just answer that he prefer you not do so. Then you refrain during that ride and everyone has a pleasant commute.

In most cases I think the driver would not mind. If I were driving I would just throw you right out - No! No! Only kidding [:o)] - I would thank you for asking and tell you it's OK with me.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 9:36am
Welcome to slugging. If you're the only one in the back seat, it probably won't be a problem. Most drivers don't like riders eating/drinking in their cars or talking on their cell phones non-stop. Just ask the driver.
Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 10:25am
What do you think of the people that get into your car and chat LOUDLY about their work issues all the way to DC (about 40 min)? I had these two ladies in my car this morning who work together (looked like it from their conversation) and discussed their problem over and over again. I am normally OK with most of the stuff that people do while slugging with me - reading, listening to their Ipods (even loud), get phone calls, etc. But I would rather have a quiet drive to work since when I get to my office, I have tons of my own problems [:)] like everyone else. Any thoughts? Or am I being over sensitive?
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 11:37am
I agree that riders should not talk unless the driver initiates conversation. I'm usually reading. I follow the rule if the driver has their radio on, they want to listen to that - not a rider.
springfieldslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote springfieldslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:14pm
There's no harm in asking the driver... I've taken some very "interesting" riders who either smelled like they had slept with the cattle all night or put their make-up as I was driving... While I was frustrated the other day by this lady in the front seat applying her makeup without asking me if it was OK, I did not say anything, because I did not wanted to seem like I was rude. It's good to now and then talk about slugging etiquette... I'm afraid some of the slugs (even drivers sometimes) forget to be mindful of others.
AWinner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:38pm
I personally find knitting to be more pleasant than the accepted practice of newspaper reading. Newspapers can obstruct views, are unattractive, make noises when pages are turned, create an impersonal environment, and can occassionally leave a mark when wet. You can talk while knitting (if needed) and it creates a warmer environment.

Knitting is NOT a safety issue. If someone wanted to harm you, there are better weapons out there. So please knit to your heart's content!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

Is it OK (In the world of slug etiquette, that is) for a slug passenger to knit during the ride in? Yeah, I know 12-inch pointy bamboo spikes aren't the most innocent looking things, but when carried by a petite woman in a business suit with a government badge?

This is my first week slugging so bear with me...

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.

I wouldn't have a problem with it; just be careful not to poke the driver in the eye!
Elemental View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 8:11am
I've knit before and haven't heard complaints. But I've only knit if I'm in the backseat, it feels a bit obtrusive for the front seat. One hint - if know I'm going to take a project on my commute, I start it on circular needles, but just knit back & forth like straight needles. Much more compact for packing in a bag & you don't need as much elbow room.
lostinoz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostinoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 8:37am
I would ask the driver in any instance as it is common courtesy as they own the car and you are the guest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic