Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drivers picking out slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Worstof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drivers picking out slugs
    Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 10:08am
I've been slugging for 3 years and to me, according to the Etiquette and Rules section, seems pretty clear.

Drivers have the option (Will Call) to pick out someone from the slug line.

However a friend of mine who also slugs has the opinion that this is a violation of the rule that "slugs do not take rides out of turn."

I think it is pretty clear that slugs cannot jump the line and take someone's ride while the driver always has the option to pick who rides.

Am I correct or is there some unwritten rule or something I'm not understanding?
Thanks!
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 10:12am
Worstof, you are 100% correct! The driver always has the opportunity to do a "Will Call". I've done it when I drove in and I've had it happen to me when others saw me standing in line. No harm no foul IMO.
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 10:32am
I have a couple of friends, one of them my neighbor, that I will stop short of the head of the slug line and tell them to get in. It is the driver's choice. If they aren't there, I follow the first in line rule, unless of course there is a slug who is next that I don't particularly want in my car again, but that has only happened twice in 7 years of driving.[8D]
Worstof View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Worstof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 10:39am
Thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly.
Happy Easter.
Worst
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 12:58pm
I can see how this could be very frustrating for the people who are further up in line....to see someone behind them get their ride. IMO, if the driver wants to be selective and pick a buddy out from the line, they should start a carpool or the driver should pick up this buddy from somewhere other than in the line (unless of course he/she happens to be next in line). I think this "Will Call" should be reserved for instances when the driver want to pass on a person that is known to be less than ideal.
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 1:17pm
As has been stated many times, the driver has final say as to who rides in his car. I personally see nothing wrong with this. I've slugged over 12 years and have been called out of line many, many times in the past. It doesn't bother me to have others called out either. I haven't seen this happen on a routine basis. It just depends on the timing of driver and slug being there at the same time.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 1:35pm
Ohio,

I understand that it's the drivers choice. But is it your opinion that riders toward the front of the line don't feel slighted when people behind them get their ride?

FYI - I have never slugged before. However, I do pick-up slugs quite often.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 4:13pm
KC, My sentiments on feeling slighted as a slug waiting in line. I don't know who or why the will call action is considered acceptable. If a driver intended to pick up only one slug and did a will call, the driver should at least attempt to pickup another slug so those in line don't feel cheated. As a driver, would it be acceptable that I only will call those that are attractive? Of course, I would never do that, but will call is acceptable; shouldn't the tenent be first in line is first served.

Goober
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 8:22am
jbeiii View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbeiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 10:49am
I slug mostly but drive on occassion. I see many people in line that I know and have never thought to pull them out of line. While drivers do ultimately have the final say on who rides, I must agree with Goober! The slug line is not a deli where you pick what you want. If there is a line of people and you want to pull a person out that is not first in line please have the courtesy to do it as a 4th rider. If you are constantly pulling up and picking who you want to ride, then as KCWolfPck said start a car pool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic