Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potential New Slug-- question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote student00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential New Slug-- question
    Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 1:51pm
Hi, I am considering slugging to class at Marymount University. My ideal drop off location would be Ballston, but I don't think many slug lines go there. I just have a few questions about slugging. I would be coming from springfield and and need to be there by 8 am.

Is it fairly reliable? If I leave enough time to come and join the slug line will I get to class, or is it a hit or miss thing?

If I did the Rosslyn morning slug line, is the metro easily accessible from there?

One more, sorry-- do you think it is safe for a single female to slug? I've never done it before so I just want to make sure. I'm sure it is, but I just want to check.
GlowingSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlowingSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 3:29pm
I don't know about your route specifically, but I know for me, slugging has been more reliable than most other transportation I've taken into or out of the city.

I'm also a 23 year old female traveling alone and have never had any problems or felt unsafe. :)

I'm pretty sure Rosslyn Metro station is fairly close to the slug drop off point, so you shouldn't have any problems.
student00 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote student00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 12:01am
Thanks, I appreciate your response! I'm ready to try slugging, I am over the miserable commute!
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 7:29am
Which AM line are you considering? Bob's doesn't serve Roslyn, nor the Pentagon. You can catch rides to Foggy Bottom though.

Rolling Valley does serve Roslyn, but I'm not sure how many drivers go there after 7am.

Good luck.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 8:27am
Up until a year ago I worked in Ballston and would pick up slugs at Sydenstricker. Most everyone got off at the Pentagon. Of course that metro line will get you to Ballston with a connection in Rosslyn. When I rode as a slug I always asked where their ultimate destinate was just in case they were heading my way.

I am not so sure about the return route (whether Rosslyn evening line works well) but I do know that drivers were usually stacked at the Pentagon waiting to pick up slugs until about 5:58 p.m.

As far as safety goes, I really do think that slugs and drivers look out for each other and I have never seen a female left alone at a slug lot waiting for a ride.
student00 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote student00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 10:55pm
I was going to go to the sydenstricker lot, I think that is the one by Gambrill? As for the return route the pentagon is a good idea. Thanks! BTW, do people bring signs or just shout out their destination?
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 9:53am
At Sydenstricker everyone is presumed to be going to the Pentagon. You can bring a sign for Ballston, just make sure that the driver knows when it is your turn that you will accept drop off at the Pentagon. If you have a sign there is a chance someone going that way may take you out of line -- but typically you do not see anyone with a sign at the lot except for a few guys going to Rosslyn.

On your return trip, the Pentagon slug lines are organized by destination. You will get out of the Metro and walk to the parking lot, take a left and go across the street into another parking area. It's kind of a big horseshoe with lots of people waiting for rides / slugs. Just ask someone how to find the Sydenstricker slug line and they will direct you.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 10:45am
On the few times I've slugged from Sydenstricker (and all have been between 6 & 6:30 AM) Oosik is 100% correct that most drivers assume slugs are going to the Pentagon. But there were a few drivers who call out for slugs wanting to go to Rosslyn, to Crystal City, or to the Navy Yard. (And no drivers called out for slugs for any downtown DC locations.)

student00 needs to know that all the S'stricker lot parking spaces fill up by about 7 to 7:30. She should also know that the Rolling Valley commuter lot is not full by then, and never seems to be 100% full despite the very active slug line for most all locations there. Rolling Valley has a single line of slugs near the bus shelter where the driver tells the first slug in line his/her destination, and the first slug or two heading for that destination hop in the car (even though those slugs may not be at the head of the line). It seems to work very well there.
student00 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote student00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 4:24pm
Thanks everyone. Pentagon is fine, but Rosslyn and Ballston are my number one choices. I'm mainly slugging because I can't stand sitting in traffic any longer so slugging and then metroing is fine. Thanks for all the advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic