Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should the gas tax be raised?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should the gas tax be raised?
    Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 1:06pm
I'm curious to know how the board feels, as commuters, about the proposed increase in the gas tax in Virginia.

I think it is 17.5 cents/gallon now and they want to add a nickel to that. The Post said that would be about an additional $1.25 on a $20 fill-up.

This would raise about $600M/year into a fund set aside for transportation only.

So, any opinions on whether the legislature should do this?

Do you mind a nickel a gallon raise?

(One thing, please: let's not get lost in discussing NoVA vs. SoVA or how Richmond takes transpo money and uses it for non-transpo things. Let's just assume that the money from the tax will be spent appropriately statewide for road-related things. The question is: are people dead-set against any kind of gas tax raise?)
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 1:41pm
As long as the $$ would actually not technically be used to improve VA roads, I'm for it. AND if that means no HOT lanes.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 2:26pm
I agree with GMHP, but I further stipulate that current funding sources cannot be decreased. It would be easy to say that the new funds generated go straight to transportation needs, but there would be nothing stopping them from cutting existing funds to it, so that there's a net change of ZERO in support of transportation.

Also, if you wrote the right numbers from the Post, then their math is flawed. 1.25 / .05 = 25, meaning 25 gallons will yeild $1.25. Last I checked, gas was not $20/25 = $0.80 a gallon, although I wish it were.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 3:27pm
Let's get this straight ... we've seen recent board postings about various bills in the General Assembly for increased gas tax, user fees (tolls) on every Va interstate, HOT lanes, etc. [V]

If they all pass, how much more than the $35 one-way HOT lane toll (as mentioned on another thread on this board) will a Stafford or F-burg commuter have to pay? [B)]

Hear that whooshing sound? That's just the money being sucked out of your bank account! [:p]
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 4:09pm
Sponge,
It's a nickel per dollar, or 5% on the proposed additional gas tax.

I think it's stupid to think that raising taxes will do any good. They need policy improvments, not revenue improvments.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2007 at 8:22am

Give me a gas tax - especially if it means no HOT or toll roads. Don't know about your gas mileage but I can get about 3 trips Richmond to DC on 20 gallons of gas, if that costs me an extra $1.25...BONUS, when you consider that a $35 one-way HOT would have cost me $105 for the same three trips.

I like better roads and public services, ensures that my property values are more likely to continue to increase. Sorry folks, I may not be a career politician, but I AM a career public servent, and for the most part, I think I work pretty hard to get good value out of the tax payers dollar.

Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2007 at 9:15pm
As much as I hate paying any new tax on top of all the other taxes I currently pay, if the return on investment is actually provided and I am not "suckered" into another false promise, I would pay. But like mentioned by folks above, I don't want current funding sources removed, and I don't want to pay tolls to use ANY VA interstate highways. Filling up my tank every six days would cost me less in tax than what I pay for a latte from Starbucks. So, if the return on this investment improves my commute and leisure use of state roads, then I'll give up one of my lattes each week. But I don't trust VDOT with managing the funds...legislature needs to be smart and specific... if THAT's possible....
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2007 at 7:38am
I heard on the radio this morning the gas tax was passed...

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2007 at 8:03am
Well if it passes, the idea of state wide tolls will probably go away for a little while at least. Now to move onto killing HOT and the Hybrid exemptions.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2007 at 11:01am
Yeah the proposal isbn't raising gas taxes, its expanding Sales tax to cover gas, which means 5% increase of cost (meaning $2.20 gas would now be $2.31)
In addition, the money goes not to the Transpo trust fund but teh general treasury. Although they SAY the funds would be spent for transporation related issues. Reality is this is the worst type of scam.
If they are going to hike gas taxes they should hike gas taxes which go to the transporation fund and are spent on transportation, instead they are hiking SALES taxes and saying to TRUST them that they will spend it on transporation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic