Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commuter Elbow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2006 at 7:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]dickboyd, he's not a troll. Or at least there is an actual Eric Weiss traffic reporter at the Post.

<>

Sponge, thanks for the update. I'm prejudiced by anyone's association with the Washington Post.

Dr. Gridlock hasn't been very objective over the years. More about selling papers and rousing emotion than getting better transportation. Dr. Gridlock should be on the same page as the "funnies" or Dilbert.

Jayson Blair (New Yourk Times) and other "journalists" haven't done much for my opinion of the fourth estate.

From time to time, I write letters to advertisers telling them I won't buy their product because it was advertised in a newspaper or magazine. On the page facing the ad was a blatant lie presented as "news" rather than opinion.

On a slow news day, a fender bender can become an act of terrorism by the time it is reported.

If the press wants to report on "driver's elbow", I would suggest they get an independent opinion from health providers or health insurers. Epidemiologists may even have a category for transportation related illness.

dickboyd@aol.com
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2006 at 7:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sticky Bandaid
[br]I drive (and pick up slugs) from Spotsylvania to DC and back again. One way is now over 2 hours. By the time I get home I have a real problem unfolding myself, and my right leg is pooped.

Sticky, read the helpful hints in the airlines' travel books about moving your legs and ankles to avoid thrombosis. Make circles with your toes, raise your knee to your chest, sing, yell, pant breathe, massage your knees.

Repetitive stress injury (RSI), such as carpal tunnel is more about keeping a joint in one position as opposed to moving around. Check with your human resources folks about your companies policy regarding RSI. If your company does not have a policy, suggest that they start one. The oriental programs are a good start. Some of the Yoga stretches work wonders. There is a fantastic return on investment for a company to look after the welfare of its people.

If your company says thanks, but no thanks to an exercise program, polish your resume and start looking for a new job with a humane employer.

dickboyd@aol.com
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2006 at 1:44pm
A lot of back pain, carpal tunnel, TMJ, tennis elbow, restless leg, sciatica, etc. is psychosomatic, resulting from subconsciously repressing emotional issues - - -you build up a lot of subconscious rage because you can't express these things (not acceptable to yourself or to others). Commuting is a real stressor. I hate it when my driver is an idiot and I can't say anything. I hate it when my driver puts me and a lot of other people at serious risk. I hate spending 3 hours a day commuting. I hate Metro Rail. And I have back pain for no apparent physical reason.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2006 at 3:00pm
I've sustained back pain when getting out of some of the two door cars or trucks. Trucks with an extended cab with only front two doors can be be dangerous to alight from the rear seats, especially when the cab is 3' or more up from the ground! I find that I have to strain when getting out of the rear seat of a low riding coupe. Some, not all, of these contortions strains my back especially with the extreme versions of these vehicles.

It is always my prerogative to get in these vehicles so I am not complaining. Although I feel pain only after I am out of the car ... it's too late...live and learn.

Goober
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic