Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commuter Elbow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2006 at 11:59am
I know when I drive 6 hours to visit my family in Binghamton, NY that I have minor aches in my lower back (which go away after getting up to walk around) and maybe some soreness in my driving arm shoulder, which too goes away.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2006 at 12:29pm
I have family in Binghamton! That is a LONG drive!

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
Sticky Bandaid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sticky Bandaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2006 at 12:48pm
I drive (and pick up slugs) from Spotsylvania to DC and back again. One way is now over 2 hours. By the time I get home I have a real problem unfolding myself, and my right leg is pooped.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2006 at 5:49pm
I make the commute to and from Richmond 3-5 days per week for...too many years now. I take off shoes and put on sandles for the drive home. My right foot is definately a problem, cruise control helps, but only for the stretch of 95 south of Fredricksburg. Haven't noted back problems, but thanks for the suggestion.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2006 at 2:54pm
Blindness from some of the @##$%!*&'s who use their bright lights when they somehow think that you have gotten ahead of them due to improper means. I am thinking about installing a "Tim the Toolman Taylor" rear super bright light assembly that will put these idiots in their place. The obvious safety issues will probably due less to stop me than the amount of effort it would take to rig up such an assembly, but it's still nice to dream.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2006 at 4:28pm
I've flashed people with my lights at night when I was following them. Although when I did it, it was because they didn't have their own headlights on. The hope was that they would see flashing lights and the idea of "turn your lights on" might pop in their heads. I've been wrong every time.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 9:45am
Especialy a problem now that it gets dark so early. I have a tough time with the glare from oncomming traffic, and now with those bright blue colored headlights. Talk about dangerous! Of course the drivers with those bright blue headlights think they are simply providing better visibility for themselves (and screw anyone who disagrees), but they are only marginally better than the best normal headlights and really create a traffic hazard both for oncomming traffic and for those they tailgate.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 11:44am
Just the other day I was followed by some person with those blue headlights. My God are they blinding, and not so much from the intensity, but from how the light scatters everywhere.
EricWeissWashPost View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricWeissWashPost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 11:57am
If anyone out there has developed lower back or other problems from commuting, please email me at weisse@washpost.com.

dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2006 at 7:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by darkprime
[br]Just the other day I was followed by some person with those blue headlights. My God are they blinding, and not so much from the intensity, but from how the light scatters everywhere.

Lexus and the high end luxury cars have an optional feature for the rear window. They have a blind that you can activate to block the unwanted light from a following car. I think the blind could be modified to show a message such as back off, you are too close.

Seems that an enterprising sort of person could market an aftermarket rear blind for people that are bothered by bright lights from the rear.

Flipping the blind might be construted by some as the rich dude's way of flipping the bird. Would flipping the blind induce road rage? Has Eric W. researched road rage as a form of driver's elbow?

At one time, there was talk of polarizing windshields in one direction and headlights in the other direction. Whatever happened to polarization?

dickboyd@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic