Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One way drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One way drivers
    Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 9:21am
I was wondering how many drivers out there regularly only grab SLUGs one way?
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 11:28am
Is it important to discuss this? It's all driver choice so sluggers just have to deal with it.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 12:58pm
Let's play nice ohio, colossus was just asking...

I guess I'm like many slug-line commuters who only drive when I need mobility during the day or when I need to leave work early. In these cases I pick up slugs in the morning, leave early if I need to (no slugs), and pick up slugs if I stay late.

I regularly see drivers who go one way, but not the other. I have also caught rides in both directions from several drivers. So based on my observations, many drivers pick up slugs for a one way ride.

I am thankful to anyone who will offer their hospitality and give a ride to slugs, in either direction.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 1:42pm
Ohio, I was just asking. I drive, and really only go one way (bobs or Daventry in to Pentegon or L'Enfant). Mostly cause I don't leave work till 8 or 9 everynight. Only day i go home at 5 is fridays, and I do pick up then.

I was just trying to get a sense from the rest of the slugging world how this was viewed, how common it was.
gtivr6ps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtivr6ps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 2:10pm
At lest this topic is a little more different then the typical bitching about how someone sneezed in their car (or whatevers todays rant is)
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 5:04pm
Using HOV leads me to the Pentagon which is a bit out of my way (but still saves me beaucoup time). Coming home, I almost always work past HOV hours so I don't take slugs home. Yet, the slugs I took to work one day generally are in the same group going back to work the following day -- so I presume that they make it back home each night.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 10:11am
One gauge of this phenomenon is the bus ridership. What I see is that the morning bus is exactly half empty, while the afternoon bus is exactly full or beyond. From this, one can see the effect of all the morning drivers staying past 6:00 and returning solo.

So why not extend the HOV hours to 7:00? Spread out the traffic a little?
abomb36 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abomb36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 10:26am
I have thought about the timing of HOV as well. How long has VDOT had the hours on 395 and 66? Why not extend the hours to encourage more carpooling? An extra half hour heading South in the evenings seems overdue.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 10:41am
Yeah, that isn't a bad idea to expand the hours later. I bet there could be some good slugging established after 6 pm for people who have to work till then (my office is open till 6, and often dont leave till a bit after that).

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 10:54am
One potential fallout from that is carpoolers/slugs will lose the excuse that I need to get on the road while HOV is still HOV in order to leave the office at a reasonable time. Employers can then "own" you for longer.

I find it cool how fokls do get moved both ways and as far as I know, no one gets stranded on either end. Seems to me there are plenty of folks driving south carrying slugs who didn't bring slugs in on the north run. Kind of evens out although the bus piece does absorb some of the flow.

I do expect another surge in slug numbers since the price of gas is approaching (has reached in some places) $3 a gallon. It's a psychological benchmark that will move people out of their cars and into the lines for a time. ce la vie.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic