Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOT lanes and WTOP...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOT lanes and WTOP...
    Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 11:50am
While sitting in 2 and a half hours of traffice this morning I heard on WTOP that the plans for HOT are going to the commissioner and are most likely definately going to be implemented. The women also mentioned that slugs are very important to the system, and that she believes they shouldn't and will not be affected by HOT lanes...waaaa hooo, NOT!

:'}
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 1:12pm
I think it would be fantastic if they put the lanes into HOT, but made little money because of the slugging system taking away from it.

-Rob
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 1:23pm
The problem with that theory is that then they would say to VDOT see, we need to charge every car and VDOT would cave in like California did, and that would be the end of slugging...
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 2:40pm
I just dont understand how and who will monitor the cars with three, and cars with 1 or 2... toll booths? That means even longer commute times. Greeaaaatt! I agree with Subaru!

:'}
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 2:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]I just dont understand how and who will monitor the cars with three, and cars with 1 or 2... toll booths? :'}

The magic smarttag transponder will figure it out. Yes, magic.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 8:59am
This is the elephant in the living room: there is no way to tell how many people are in a car, so how can Fluor/Transurban charge one car full fare and another car nothing? They CANNOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [xx(]

Man, I'm so tired of having to point this out to people I've practically wrung myself dry, which is a bad thing for a sponge.

I know all you posters here get it, what I can't understand is why the newspapers and the rest of the ridesharing community don't get it.

Like the ladies I rode home with last night, one of whom had even attended the September meeting at Ferlazzo. She simply would not accept that HOV would not be free. When I asked her how it could be done, she said "I'm sure they'll find a way."

Well, I sure as hell ain't sure!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 9:55am
I think what you have to remember is that the majority of commuters probably prefer toll roads. Folks have complained about the high number of hybrids in the express lanes during commuting hours, and many posts have also pointed out that the fuel savings are insufficient on their own to compensate for the expense of purchasing the cars. Do you honestly think that hybrid owners are AGAINST tolls? Unless, of course, the exemption is extended.

Anyone play the lottery? That same sort of hope is also fueling the sentiment of the drivers in the regular lanes - they can just buy their way out of the congestion when they need to. But, alas, like the lottery, they probably have slim odds.

Add those regular drivers to hybrid owners and companies willing to pay their drivers to get more quickly from one place to another (that includes out of area businesses) and you have an insurmountable lobby wanting tolls.

It's too bad no one made an effort to break up part of that group by supporting extention of the hybrid exemption. You can bet that SOV hybrid owners are backing the tolls now!
Mr. Bill View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 10:47am
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
Like the ladies I rode home with last night, one of whom had even attended the September meeting at Ferlazzo. She simply would not accept that HOV would not be free. When I asked her how it could be done, she said "I'm sure they'll find a way."

Some months back there was a meeting at Woodbridge HS, and either the Clark or the Flor spokesman said that they do not anticipate that the HOV will be charged; however, he did not rule it out either. His reason was that with all of the extra service they will be providing the HOV drivers will see it is worth something.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 11:28am
Yup, I'll just pay the toll and head on up the road after HOT is installed. I think about 15,000 other cars will also do the same, and then there will be congestion on both lines...and NoSUV will then realize he fought the wrong battle...
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 11:49am
quote:
Originally posted by CallmeMrSlug
[br]Yup, I'll just pay the toll and head on up the road after HOT is installed. I think about 15,000 other cars will also do the same, and then there will be congestion on both lines...and NoSUV will then realize he fought the wrong battle...

No he will be fighting to make all the lanes HOT. He works for Flor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic