Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Someone Correct the Post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Someone Correct the Post
    Posted: 27 Oct 2005 at 12:32pm
Today's Washington Post website has the usual uncritical article about how toll roads are somehow going to make life all better for the rich bastards who can afford them. But they get a critical figure wrong:

"Detractors worry that the lanes are too expensive for low-income drivers -- the estimated cost of a ride in the I-95/395 corridor, for example, is about $13 -- and some say toll lanes amount to double taxation. Carpoolers have come out against the I-95 plan over fears that it will ruin the popular practice of "slugging," in which drivers and riders form spontaneous carpools."

If memory serves the Sponge, the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments' study indicated it would be closer to $40 each way in the 95/395 corridor. Big difference.

Anyone want to write to the Post and correct them? Bob, did you get the expected amount from the MWCOG presentation we saw?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2005 at 2:12pm
SpongeBob

Take a look at this recent document submitted by Fluor.
See page 9. It has a cost of $17 for the base cost I believe from Fredericksburg in 2015. I dont have time to research it but I think that is what is says. Of course, dynamic tolling would increase that

http://virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Fluor-Transurban%20Response%20to%20VDOT%20Questions%20of%209%2027%2005.pdf
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2005 at 2:35pm
Good God, as I'm reading this Fluor document, the top of my square head is swelling fit to bust!

They keep calling it "an improved facility," as if one measly lane is suddenly going to make committed SOVer's into carpoolers!

Ha! If there is underused capacity on the existing HOV lanes, then the facility is as attractive to drivers as it is ever going to get. One more lane isn't going to make a difference.

What tripe.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2005 at 3:56pm
It looks like lakeridgeresident had the MWCOG numbers in an earlier post:
"An employee of the Metro Washington Council of Govnts just gave me the actual breakdown of what tolls ought to cost to inhibit congestion:
For a Lake Ridge resident, it's $35 into the city.
For a Fredericksburg resident, it's $41.21 to the city ONE WAY.

For exact numbers:
From DC to Shirlington Rd at $1.10 per mile = 4.40
From there to the beltway it's about $1 per mile, about $9
From there to Fairfax County Parkway, it's $1.60 per mile = 6.40
From there to PWC parkway, it's .80 per mile = $14.40
From there to Fredericksburg,it's .23 per mile = $6.21"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic