Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOT question: tolls during non-rush hour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 4:06pm
mroyal, I think that making separate HOT and HOV entrance lanes will definitely make it possible to not charge HOVs, that is, you don't necessarily need high-tech means to make that distinction (don't give those contractors that idea). However, I can see them eventually start charging the "free loading" HOVs because they don't generate revenue. They can charge a reduced toll for HOVs but it still ruins the whole slugging system. So, in the end, they win unless HOT is STOPPPED NOW. See you at the:

September 21, 2005
Ferlazzo Auditorium
Prince William County
15941 Donald Curtis Drive
Woodbridge, VA. 22193
NOTE: The September 21 meeting is planned for public comments. (copied from shirons HOT Lanes Discussion)

Goober
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 9:44am
Yea,
I'm not arguing in support of HOT. I don't see anything positive in it for the current HOVers.

I just took the sponge challenge to provide a way to enforce (sortof) HOV and SOV in the same lanes.

Good luck in your battles. I hope you win the war.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 10:52am
HOT is a reality!

I had my head sawed off on an earlier post when I suggested that if the proposal calls for constructing three lanes -- dedicate two lanes to HOT and one lane to HOV with some type of 3'(barrier) structure which separates the two lanes.

HOV lanes having only left lane entrance/exits and HOT having only RIGHT lane entrance/exits.

If someone gets sarcastic with me, I swear on my dead dog's grave I will, I will...[:(!]

AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 10:55am
Oh, and I do plan to be at the meeting on 21 Sep b/c this directly effects my lifestyle.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 3:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]Good luck in your battles. I hope you win the war.

Does this mean that you won't join in the battle?

Goober
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 4:20pm
I am willing to send electronic and postal mail to my representatives, but I get quite bored at hearings (sorry).

From my experience and conversations with staffers, I believe e-mail is largely ignored (it's more of a poll). If you really want to communicate, send postal mail and on the front print "Urgent and Confidential"

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 4:23pm
The central issue about HOT is whether HOV will remain free. Reduced fare is not enough, it has to be as it is now: free.

Both Fluor and Clark have proposed for I95/395 a multi-access, automated, full-speed tolling system that will connect to a larger region-wide HOT network. The HOT lanes would run from Massaponax to Fairfax to Reston to Manassas to Dulles, etc and so on. Fluor signed a contract just a few months ago to build HOT lanes on the Beltway, the first step in the regional plan.

As far as I can learn, no toll road system of similar size or complexity has ever been done before. Not in the US, not in Australia, not anywhere.

But I think Fluor and Clark could do it; they could build the world's most advanced toll road network, and make it work.

What they can't do, and their silence on the issue is proof, is let HOV ride for free on the system. Want some proof? Well, look for the next Sponge-sermon.
SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 8:14am
Sponge;

You have proof. SR-91 in CA.
gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 9:38am
Yeah we make so much in DC that is why so many of us live out in stafford. Hello the prices are through the roof here and normal people don't make that much. The local jobs pay dirt and so that is why so many of us work in DC and slug. Open our wallets my butt.

Hot lanes won't work. The only thing that will work is getting the DC companies to open their eyes and allow for telecommuting centers in fredericksburg.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 10:47am
Does including a separate HOT and HOV ENTRANCE lanes make it possible to keep HOV free? Sponge says that "THERE WILL BE NO FREE HOV BECAUSE THERE IS NO TECHNOLOGY TO DO IT!" However, you should not be required to use Smarttag if you have an HOV-3.

You don't need to "PUT A PERSON ON EVERY OFFRAMP 24/7, ESPECIALLY THE HIGH-SPEED SLIP-RAMPS", just a person in an "HOV only entrance" for the duration of HOV hours.

However, a problem will arise when the decision makers start to charge HOVers, like they did in California, SR-91 HOT. The contractors won't guarantee that HOV will be free because they want a way to save their asses in the event that a substantial number in the HOT lanes are HOVs (they don't generate revenue).

Is it unrealistic to demand that if they build HOT, HOV will be free forever?

Goober
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic