Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Too Young 2 Slug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too Young 2 Slug
    Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 1:05pm
Question - Has anyone ever pick-up a slug who "appeared" to be too young to be slugging? [?] ? How young is too young ? [:I] The reason I ask this question is, with the popularity of slugging, it just might be a matter of time before someone gets the idea to use slugging as a means of running away home. I'm sure most would like to think it would never happen to them or the ones they care about, but hey...we're all slugs at heart.

Feedback/comments greatly appriciated.

[:D]
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 1:44pm
Two or three summers ago, there were some high school students who slugged to the P'gon from RVM to catch the Metro to their summer jobs in DC. When we asked him about standing in the slug line, he told us he slugged because his parents did too, and his work hours were earlier than his parents. He was 17, and dressed in a shirt and tie. It was a bit startling to see such a young man in a slug line that early in the morning. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable seeing elementary or middle school aged kids in a slug line. My "something appears wrong with this" sense would kick in -- same as it would if I saw a youngster hitchhiking.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
annsyp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annsyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 2:32pm
I am the kind of person who gets consistently carded for R-rated movies, despite being almost 29. So, while people may appear to be too young to be slugging, they probably are okay! I've actually wondered in the past what people think when they pick me up, especially since I normally wear jeans to work, so I'm not even dressed very professionally.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2005 at 8:53am
annsyp...would you happen to have any pics to send out...you know, to prove how young you look ;)
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2005 at 9:58am
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]annsyp...would you happen to have any pics to send out...you know, to prove how young you look ;)

Maybe we DO need a "personals" section!![;)]
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2005 at 4:19pm
Several youngsters slugged out of Tacketts a few years back. They were out of school and had jobs in agencies for the summer. They weren't more than 17-18-19 at the most. Of course their parents taught them to slug and they just went about it on their own. I never heard of any problems.
Mr. Bill View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2005 at 12:02pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue

Of course their parents taught them to slug and they just went about it on their own.

Slugging should be taught in the homes, I'm glad that we are not getting the schools involved in this. Teaching time is too valuble to be used for things that should be taught at home.[:)]
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2005 at 11:30pm
I Just turned 20. I slugged full time when I was 18, and I slugged during the summers when I was 16 and 17. As long as we follow the rules, then who cares how old we are. I know of about 10 of us "stay in schoolers" that work at the Pentagon/Crystal City/Rosslyn while going to college. :)

-Rob
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2005 at 12:06pm
Subaru, simmer down. I'm merely asking the question from a "parental" point of view. Never meant to ruffle any feathers. And believe me, if someone is out there using the slugging system for something other than what it was meant for, I do care! Especially if it's a minor.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2005 at 1:32pm
annsyp- I know how you feel, I am 25 and get carded for scratch offs!! Plus I too get to wear jeans and sneakers to work, I feel silly sometimes slugging home in a line full of suits. It'll be worth it when we are older!!!

:'}
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic