Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reminded the Hard Way...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rporter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reminded the Hard Way...
    Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 9:26am
The drivers and I have occasionally re-negotiated where I get dropped off, if it benefits both of us. Otherwise I'll stick to the initial location that they call out.

Before I get flamed for trying to re-negotiate the drop-off point, let me give you an example of the conversation:
Driver (with one regular passenger) calls 14th & NY and I get in
Somewhere along the way, usually on the way out of the parking lot the driver will ask how far up 14th I go.
I'll say 'I work in Georgetown, so as far north and west as you go'
On a bad day (or actually a normal day) the driver will say something like OK, 14th & NY it is...
On a good day, the driver will say something like - great, we go to 20th & penn, is that OK...

Anyway, I don't think that there is any problem discussing the drop-off point and changing if it benefits both of you.

I do think that any deviation from the HOV corridor should be avoided completely.

"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 5:22pm
As far as going to 14th Street but taking 12th Street, I don't think the driver needs to advise before doing it--after all, it eliminates seven lights on 14th Street. Now, if the driver were to take the L'Enfant exit, that would be a different story.
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 4:37pm
I can understand that. I rode with a couple that said 14th and NY but went through the L'Enfant area without telling me. Not only was traffic worse and it took longer but then they wanted to drop me at 13th and G. That particular morning it was raining and very cold. I work up on 15th and K so it was a walk and they had already made me quite late. I was not happy to say the least. So I agree. In situations where the driver says 14th - you do expect them to go up 14th and if they want to divert, they should say so. On the flip side, I've been with a driver who goes up 14th but when traffic is really bad she goes 12th and then comes back over to 14th. That's not a problem because she gets us back to where we need to go and she is just as mindful about the time as the riders, we are all trying to get to work fast. That I don't mind but when they go all over and it makes it worse, then its no good.
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 12:31pm
It's all about communication. If the driver says 14th and New York, but you're going to 14th & Penn, isn't the response back to the driver something to the effect of: "Could you drop me off at. . ." [:D]
14thDriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14thDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 11:24am
I agree that it is a two-way street, slugs and drivers both need to communicate better. If I tell a slug 14th and NY, some of them will ask if it is okay to be dropped at Penn (or where ever). I find this very helpful. This way we are clear on both of our destinations and the route is irrelevant.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 9:11am
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Thats a load of crap,I travel between DC and 610. Any time a driver got off 95 to route 1 they asked or notified us as slugs that they were doing that, common courtesy, I dont need the scenic route through back roads with a total stranger.

And if you get in a car expecting a ride to so and so and so and so, that is where the driver is obligated to take you, ever heard of a verbal agreement???

:'}

On the other hand, if you're going to, say, 14th & Pennsylvania or 14th & New York, I think it is perfectly OK for the driver to take 12th Street if he so chooses instead of putting up with all those stupid traffic lights on 14th. Just because "most" people go 14th doesn't make it the "proper" way.

Going from DC to Bob's there have been several times when I've exited the express lanes at the Turkeycock ramp because I could see that they were backed up ahead approaching Springfield. Nobody's ever complained. Ever since they built the new I-95 South ramp from the Beltway, I think the regular lanes are almost faster entering Springfield, and it's easier to get over to the Bob's drop-off point from the regular lane ramp than from the express lane ramp.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 8:35am
Thats a load of crap,I travel between DC and 610. Any time a driver got off 95 to route 1 they asked or notified us as slugs that they were doing that, common courtesy, I dont need the scenic route through back roads with a total stranger.

And if you get in a car expecting a ride to so and so and so and so, that is where the driver is obligated to take you, ever heard of a verbal agreement???

:'}
Moody Girl. View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 8:24am
Beggars (AKA Sluggers) can't be choosers. Drivers have all of the rights. The slugs, being a lower lifeform, should just sit down and be quite.

"THE REAL Moody Girl"
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2005 at 9:00am
To me as long as they don't route you thru Alaska, how they get you there is their business. Case in point. I sometimes have to pick up Rolling Valley slugs at the Pentagon in the afternoon (Sydenstricker slugs can be hard to come by sometimes). I do not go down Old Keene Mill Rd to Rolling Valley. I take the Parkway, then go up Sydenstricker to Old Keene Mill (faster in my opinion). I still get them to Rolling Valley, but not the "usual" way.
mommyslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommyslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2005 at 4:18pm
I don't know...she seemed pretty intent on going up 23rd...that is probably the route she always goes. I guess she was going to go up 23rd and turn right on K Street. Who knows! But, definitely not the usual way of obtaining slugs. Everyone else says the ROUTE they are taking -- not the destination!! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic