Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please AVOID This One-BIG SAFETY ISSUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 1:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
MDc-what you said proved my point: You said "most, if not all, have a lever on the door to engage/disengage the feature." Bingo! If the door was not broken why would she have to roll the window down & tell me to reach outside & open the door (and then go even further & begin to get out of the car herself to open the door for me)?

Live Long and Prosper

Usually the lever is on the rear door jamb, however, so the door would have to be opened to disengage the lock. I'm not excusing the person, just noting that many cars don't allow this to be disengaged from the inside precisely because they don't want kids getting at the switch.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 1:00pm
Why Uhura? The lever can't be reached when the door is closed. You must open the door from the outside, then the lever is exposed on the side of the door. Since I haven't seen every model of every make, I didn't make an absolute statement.

pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 12:05pm
Thanks for the warning. I don't think you were over reacting. I don't know where that comment came from
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 11:43am
From MDC: How can I be sure? Most, if not all, have a lever on the door to engage/disengage the feature. The last three cars I've had do. My point is that I don't think the door was broken, not that you're vent was unwarranted. I'd definitely not ride with her again considering what she did.
-------

MDc-what you said proved my point: You said "most, if not all, have a lever on the door to engage/disengage the feature." Bingo! If the door was not broken why would she have to roll the window down & tell me to reach outside & open the door (and then go even further & begin to get out of the car herself to open the door for me)?

Live Long and Prosper
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:58am
How can I be sure? Most, if not all, have a lever on the door to engage/disengage the feature. The last three cars I've had do. My point is that I don't think the door was broken, not that you're vent was unwarranted. I'd definitely not ride with her again considering what she did.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:31am
Good to remind all drivers that you are responsible for your passengers. If there is an accident, the driver would be liable for any injuries suffered by the passengers, even if someone else was at fault. (Check with insurance company over the summer when I started picking up slugs.)
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:20am
From Jigga: Thanks, Uhura. Where does she pick up? To which destination? I want to avoid this one.

-------

Jigga, today, she picked up @ Horner Road. Today's destination: Crystal City.

Live Long and Prosper
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:19am

I am going to have to side with Uhura on this one. I quietly disagree with most of Uhura's vents. However, this one is not a vent, but a true safety issue. Too many people carelessly care for their passengers. From the standpoint of personal liability, in the event something tragic were to happen, the guilty party would likely find themselves as an uninsured motorist as the result of a dead or severaly injured passenger. I can't tell you how many times I've had to put up with the child safety lock issue -- it is a pain. Configure one side of your car for slugs and the other for passengers. If essential safety equipment is broken (seat belt): FIX IT!! After enduring an 80 MPH ride from 234 to Pentagon on wet roads in a little rattle trap with bald tires, my nerves are a bit raw.

Make no mistake-it was a vent, my friend.

BTW-I do not think that this was a child safety lock issue. The vehicle is close to "junker" status. The body looks OK, but there are so many things not working on the inside that one has to wonder...

Live Long and Prosper
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:16am
From tri2dc: Sounds like you were over reacting.

-----

Really, in what way? Which reaction was "overboard":
1) ensuring that I- like the driver and the other passenger- was wearing a seatbelt,
2) the manner in which I exited the vehicle
or
3) the fact that I posted a warning on this site?

Just curious...

Live Long and Prosper
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:13am
I'm sure the door just had the child safety on so you can't open it from the inside, but other than that........

How can you be "sure" about that?
----------------
I mean, can't child safety locks be disengaged with the push of a button? Mine can. + Truthfully, with the condition of this vehicle, I'll wager that it was simply one item on the long list of repairs needed.

Live Long and Prosper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic