FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion for Hybrid drivers on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 5:17pm
If a car like the Acura TL were available as a hybrid, I'd buy one in an instant when the time comes for a new car, regardless of the HOV thing. My complaint about the current hybrids is that they're all too small (and, in the case of the Prius and the Insight, too ugly). There are persistent rumors of a hybrid Honda Accord coming sometime soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if the hybrid Escape causes Honda to focus on the CR-V instead.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 4:11pm
I can't wait to see what happens to all the hybrid drivers if/when the HOV exemption is nixed in '06...betcha the market is gonna positively flood with used hybrids!! We'll see then just who purchase them for their "exceptional gas mileage" and "positive effect on the environment"!!

"Nixed in '06"....hmmmmmm, pretty catchy...I think some politician should latch onto that one...
hopebl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopebl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 3:25pm
Hybrids are really cute cars, but, I think one should think about it long and hard. If everyone goes out and buy hybrids the HOV is going and is getting congested just like the regular lanes.

Granted slugging has its advantages and disadvantages, but, I think HOV has been running smoothly for umteen years. . .now its getting kind of shakey with all the single riders.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 1:55pm
Lisa Baden, traffic reporter for WTOP et al, has been advertising the Ford Escape Hybrid that was to be release this week.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 11:33am
KaTaNa,
... love it! But where are this new hybrid's seats to haul 2 slugs when the HOV hybrid exemption expires? LOL ... keep'em coming! [^]
motownldy199 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 9:49am
quote:
Originally posted by Rus
[br]Thanks for the website referral. I had no idea that Congress was considering legislation to allow the continued use of hybrids in the HOV lanes even though the HOV Task Force recommended that it is time to get the hybrids out of the exemption. Looks like there is still going to be a battle ahead. Time to write the Congressmen/women.

Before purchasing a hybrid, I took Metro and rode the bus.
Rus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2004 at 12:17pm
Thanks for the website referral. I had no idea that Congress was considering legislation to allow the continued use of hybrids in the HOV lanes even though the HOV Task Force recommended that it is time to get the hybrids out of the exemption. Looks like there is still going to be a battle ahead. Time to write the Congressmen/women.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 3:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.KLB
[br]I think right now most people are buying Hybrid dues to the outrageous gas prices and the extra perk is you get to ride alone,driving straight in to work with out the commuter lot detour can be rather gratifying,On the rare occasions that I get to ride to and from work alone I do feel a bit more relaxed and comfortable, I just put in a good CD and take all that good old I95 has to dish out!

Mrs. B

Someone told me that the Hybrid HOV option will expire soon

Here's what I found. Apparently it expires in July 2006:

http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-rulesfaq.asp

Live Long and Prosper
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:33pm
DC2RV,

Prior to owning a Hybrid, I could NOT work at any of the IT firms in the Dulles corridor. In my line of work, this is the primary locale with open positions. My husband and I live on the Quantico base and without the HOV lanes I couldn't get up there in less than 2 hours. I tried picking up slugs and dropping at the Pentagon, then hitting 110 to 66 to the Toll Road ... but the side tracks ended up taking up as much time as waiting out 95. Additionally, having two kiddos and a Marine hubby means that I need to have a measure of predictability in my commute. My SOLE purpose for buying a Hybrid was for the HOV lanes and the ability to work. We are temporary residents ... by the time the law expires, we hope to be out of here. The residual benefits have also been nice -- tax breaks and gas mileage!!!

Most likely we'll own hybrid vehicles from this point on ... it is nice to fuel up only once every 10 days or so.

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]It's nice of so many of you to reply, but back to my original question - How did you commute prior to using a Hybrid?

churchlady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote churchlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:12am
DH is still usually carrying 2 (or more) others in the car in the a.m. The hybrid has meant no last minute problems when the third person can't go in. In the p.m. he usually only had 1 passenger and the hybrid makes the arrival home time more predictable. This predictability is important for medical reasons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic