Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Summertime and A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summertime and A/C
    Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 3:13pm
I was looking around the site and couldn't believe no one had posted about this.

I think slugging is great and I am always a slug and really appreciative of the ride home.

That being said-How come on a day when the thermometer in a driver's car is reading 80's-90's people barely have the A/C on? This is not an isolated incident for me. When I get to the Pentagon after walking the mile to the lines in the afternoon it gets pretty darn hot. Then, because you are so desperate to get home, you jump in the first car that comes up and says whereever you are going. And nine times out of ten I get in a car that has the A/C on level one (or off) and has the temperature midway on warm (you know the little red/blue gauge on the dash)...Well, would it kill people to put it up a little so the person in the back could feel it too. And those who enjoy keeping the windows down...this is terribly uncomfortable to those who are riding with you and whose hair might be over an inch long. Last Friday when I rode home (forget the woman was driving 45-55mph the whole way!) the thermometer was reading high 90's the whole time and she didn't put on any A/C? What the?

I've never said anything to the driver because I don't think its my place to say it to them individually but I figured I'd put it on this board and see if anyone else has a solution. I know its only a half hour ride and I am very appreciative to have a free ride to the Pentagon, but come on drivers! Its hot out!
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 4:38pm
Hi BB. Check out http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=312. [:)]

You have to wade through 8 pages, but it's been mentioned before (myself included). I am with you 100%.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 4:39pm
Believe me, we have discussed this topic many times. One of the threads I remembered was called: Baked on HOV or something similar.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 4:42pm
Solutions? Speak out. The driver will never know how you feel unless you tell them.
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 8:11am
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]Solutions? Speak out. The driver will never know how you feel unless you tell them.

Agreed...
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 8:15am
Drivers also need to take the initiative and do a quality check for their passengers. It goes past courtesy and straight to human decency. Y'all should see the gyrations I go thru just when I have my dog with me!! Rear AC blasting, moon roof open...the works. When I drive, I issue a disclaimer: Let me know if you're too hot/cold and the rear passenger is informed that they have independent climate controls. That's all you gotta do!! Not too hard, is it?[;)]
KNLNGUS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 8:41am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]Drivers also need to take the initiative and do a quality check for their passengers. It goes past courtesy and straight to human decency. Y'all should see the gyrations I go thru just when I have my dog with me!! Rear AC blasting, moon roof open...the works. When I drive, I issue a disclaimer: Let me know if you're too hot/cold and the rear passenger is informed that they have independent climate controls. That's all you gotta do!! Not too hard, is it?[;)]

Couldn't agree with you more! You must speak up. Just use tact and diplomacy as opposed to a comment that twinges on sarcasm.
CUCV_Owner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUCV_Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 9:06am
The A/C could be broken, or the vehicle may not have ever had it installed. My pickup doesn't have A/C, which is why my slug-buddy drives on really hot days. :)

However, I'd expect the driver to say something about it when picking people up.

--
Politicians should serve two terms... a term in office followed by a term in jail.
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 9:21am
I know one time when I was on my home and going to pick up slugs my air conditioning wasn't working. It has been working in the morning.
When the slug got in my car I told him my situation and that I would keep the windows down for ALL of us. I made sure to tell him BEFORE we left the line at the Pentagon incase he didn't want to ride with me.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 7:59am
quote:
Originally posted by BB1178
[br]I was looking around the site and couldn't believe no one had posted about this.

I think slugging is great and I am always a slug and really appreciative of the ride home.

That being said-How come on a day when the thermometer in a driver's car is reading 80's-90's people barely have the A/C on? This is not an isolated incident for me. When I get to the Pentagon after walking the mile to the lines in the afternoon it gets pretty darn hot. Then, because you are so desperate to get home, you jump in the first car that comes up and says whereever you are going. And nine times out of ten I get in a car that has the A/C on level one (or off) and has the temperature midway on warm (you know the little red/blue gauge on the dash)...Well, would it kill people to put it up a little so the person in the back could feel it too. And those who enjoy keeping the windows down...this is terribly uncomfortable to those who are riding with you and whose hair might be over an inch long. Last Friday when I rode home (forget the woman was driving 45-55mph the whole way!) the thermometer was reading high 90's the whole time and she didn't put on any A/C? What the?

I've never said anything to the driver because I don't think its my place to say it to them individually but I figured I'd put it on this board and see if anyone else has a solution. I know its only a half hour ride and I am very appreciative to have a free ride to the Pentagon, but come on drivers! Its hot out!

Regarding drivers who have the AC on level one & midway bt warm & cold-pls consider this: While you may be a bit heated up from your walk, the driver -having been in the vehicle for quite some time- is probably already cool. Why would the driver turn the AC up to a high level? Within a few minutes you cool off right? There could also be other reasons. For example-I wear contact lenses and having the vents on "blast" would cause a great deal of discomfort for me.

Regarding the folks who have the windows down or have the AC off completely (barring malfunctioning AC)-I agree that these practices are terribly inconsiderate of the folks riding with you-esp in the back of the vehicle. As a rider, I would politely speak up.

Live Long and Prosper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic