Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friday afternoons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friday afternoons
    Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 4:40pm
My husband & I just started participating - picking up riders, 2 weeks ago. We started picking up at Rosslyn and then changed to the Pentagon. We typically arrive between 5:15p - 5:20 p (we get off at 5 EVERY DARN DAY).

This question may have already been posted in the past, but what's up with Fridays? Where is everybody? It's almost a ghost-town and I was especially surprised by last Friday (4/5/13) when I arrived at the Pentagon. Are people leaving earlier in the day? Are people hanging out and taking Metro instead?
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 8:18am
Traffic is worst on Friday so everybody tries to avoid Friday rush hour. People who can telecommute or work alternative schedules tend to make Friday the day they don't have to come into DC. Anyone who can leave early tries to do so. Some people use the MetroChek to take the train on Friday. Yogi Berra would probably point out that nobody travels on Friday anymore - the roads are too crowded.

My only advice would be to be flexible and resourceful. Maybe Rosslyn is better on Friday. Maybe a different destination lot might be better on Friday.
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 12:56pm
I literally go up to DC and backtrack to pick up, actually faster, pick up in front of Commerce

Nic
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 1:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

Traffic is worst on Friday so everybody tries to avoid Friday rush hour. People who can telecommute or work alternative schedules tend to make Friday the day they don't have to come into DC. Anyone who can leave early tries to do so. Some people use the MetroChek to take the train on Friday. Yogi Berra would probably point out that nobody travels on Friday anymore - the roads are too crowded.

My only advice would be to be flexible and resourceful. Maybe Rosslyn is better on Friday. Maybe a different destination lot might be better on Friday.

It's true, traffic is always the worst on Fridays and many take off Fridays, especially with AWS and then summer coming soon - but also, keep in mind that Spring Break was two weeks ago in Prince William County Schools and last week in other counties. That means more people were probably off with their kids, traveling, etc. Hopefully, this Friday will be a little more normal for you!
GetMeOffOLine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 1:43pm
Newbie, I work right near Rosslyn and I had tried getting a ride there once, and there was nobody there. If you go towards Rolling Valley, let me know, I could help y'all out! :)
newbie2013 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:23pm
Thank you for the heads up.

quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:27pm
We appreciate the idea, but our destination is Stafford, so it's to our advantage to pick up Stafford (610) or Mine Rd (610) riders

quote:
Originally posted by GetMeOffOLine

Newbie, I work right near Rosslyn and I had tried getting a ride there once, and there was nobody there. If you go towards Rolling Valley, let me know, I could help y'all out! :)

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:29pm
I hear you Nic. That option's not for us though.
quote:
Originally posted by NO44

I literally go up to DC and backtrack to pick up, actually faster, pick up in front of Commerce

Nic

AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 2:36pm
After slugging to and from Crystal City every day for about three years now, I have given up on Fridays. I now walk to the Pentagon on Friday afternoon. It seems that no one comes by the Crystal City slug line on Fridays to pick up slugs, which is a shame because now it will "die" on Fridays. However, I do not find any problems getting a ride (so far) from the Pentaton. I slug to Route 610.
garfield@ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfield@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:48pm
How about Dumfries? I work in Rosslyn and I can never get a ride to Dumfries..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic