Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unwarranted Police Action AGAINST Commuters!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unwarranted Police Action AGAINST Commuters!
    Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 2:43pm
The PWC Police are threatening to ticket and tow cars parked in the designated overflow area of the 234 lot.

An officer was at the lot this am passing out a flyer:

Parking in designated spaces only.

Cars will be ticketed, towed or both if in violation.

DO NOT block or obstruct other vehicles or the right of way.

If you have any qquestions contact the Prince William County Police at 703-792-7203.

Hmmmm. I am really sick of the county and the way they treat commuters. Call Maureen Caddigan and ask why she has obstructed the use of $5.2M of STATE FUNDING that sits in her district, set aside to expand the lot.

Call her at 703 793 4645.

Take NO EXCUSES.

Suzan
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 2:57pm
Good Luck trying to get an answer out of Maureen! I have emailed, called and even asked her face-to face at a HOA meeting she was attending. I got no replies on the email and phone and when asked directly she tap-danced better than Fred Astaire!! Of course the last time she was up for re-election (in the primary since she generally runs unopposed inteh general lection) only 35 people showed up to vote so I guess we get what we deserve.

CJ
ddabney67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddabney67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 8:35pm
Hey folks! Please review the e-mail trail below. This is what I received from the county on Rt 234 and the crack down on parking. I don't expect a response from PWC Police. They will more than likely cite some safety code and tell us to deal with it. But it sounds like the land around the lot is owned by private entity so the county is "powerless" to acquire and start any improvement. I doubt this will be resolved anytime soon and in speaking with folks who have lived alot longer than me...is par for the course.

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: ddabney67@yahoo.com
Cc: "Blaser, Tom J." <tblaser@pwcgov.org>; "Grasso, Lynne D." <lgrasso@pwcgov.org>; "Raines, Jeffrey" <JRaines@pwcgov.org>; "Deane, Charlie T." <ctdeane@pwcgov.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:54:13 PM
Subject: RE: 234 Commuter Lot

Good afternoon Mr. Dabney, this is in response to your concern regarding the Route 1/234 commuter lot project. The main reason for the delay in the original timeline for start of construction involved the right-of-way acquisition phase for the project. As you may be aware, the original project scope did not include the purchase of a significant parcel needed for the construction of the project which belongs to a private developer. At the onset of the project we were planning on expanding the lot within the available VDOT right-of-way. However, when the adjacent developer approached us to revise our design to accommodate their future construction of the Route 1/234 interchange ( which means we had to expand outside the available VDOT right-of-way into the developer’s property) by agreeing to fund any additional cost for this revision and to dedicate at no cost to the County for their entire parcel needed for the revision, we accepted because it will better accommodate the planned interchange in this area, thus minimizing impact to the lot in the future. The revised plans were prepared and advertised for construction back in late summer of 2008, and the County received several bids when we were unexpectedly informed that the developer’s was unable to fulfill their obligations by dedicating their proffered land needed for the project because of an existing mortgage on the property. We at the County had to reject all received bids and revise our plans to go back into expansion to the side within the available VDOT right-of-way. The plans are currently in their final completion and scheduled for submission to County for review next week. We are also scheduled to advertise this project early spring of this year for significant completion by end of the year.

The new design plans for the commuter lot will provide over 840 spaces; this is about 500 spaces more than existing.

Additionally, with this email I am copying the Prince William County Police Department with your concern regarding parking at the existing lot.

If you should have any more questions or concerns regarding this or any other Transportation related project please feel free to contact me.

Khattab O. Shammout, P.E.

Capital Projects Division Chief

Prince William County

Tel: (703)792-6826

Fax (703)792-7159

Kshammout@pwcgov.org

On Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:12 PM I sent the following:

To: Raines, Jeffrey; ajbrown@pwcgov.org; Caddigan, Maureen S.
Subject: Fw: 234 Commuter Lot

Happy New Year,

I am requesting an update on the project below and also to voice a concern. On 12 Jan 09 I parked in the overflow unimproved sloped section of Rt 234 lot and noticed that a PWC Police Officer was handing out flyers advising everyone to park in designated parking spots only. When asked about parking on the unimproved parking area east of the main lot, I was told that those areas are not "designated" and vehicles would be ticketed. Why is PWC Police cracking down on this issue now and why is it taking so long for the Rt 234 lot to be expanded? The lot continues to be heavily utilized. Since the property west of the main lot was "acquired by a developer outside the scope of the county" can the county buy the now closed Mexican restaurant across Rt 234, level it and put in a cross walk and more parking? Again I ask, when will construction begin and why was it delayed. I've visited the Lake Ridge commuter lot and it is a thing of beauty and I wonder why the hardworking military, civil service and contractor citizens of south Woodbridge, Dumfries and surrounding area can not enjoy the same accommodations. I will say that the great Americans at PRTC are doing a great job getting us to and from work.

http://www.pwcgov.org/eservices/qpr/InetDetail.asp?ProjId=556#

Project Name:
DOT: Route 234/1 Commuter Parking Lot

Project Type:
State Project

Project Description:
Expand parking lot at intersection of State Routes 1 and 234. We have finalized and selected an alternative for this expansion, which will accommodate the 234/1 interchange and expansion of the lot with maximum parking apace increase.

ddabney67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddabney67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 2:07pm
Fellow commuters,

Here's a direct explanation from the PWC police department on the recent flyers handed out at the RT 234 lot.

D

----------------------------------------------

I'm in receipt of your email re the commuter lot on Rt. 234 & I-95. I
can speak to the Police Department's actions. I have received dozens of
complaints within the past month or so about vehicles being blocked in &
commuters having to wait hours to get unblocked. Also there have been
several incidents where cars have slid off the hill into other parked
cars.
We are most concerned about personal injury, property damage & the
general inconvenience of those commuters that have to wait to be
unblocked.
We always address these issues from the lowest involvement up. We
realize that this is a passionate issue that has frustrated all of us .
We have not started any enforcement action yet. We hope to get enough
voluntary compliance where that won't be necessary. We are working with
county transportation & VDOT to try & resolve these issues with the
least impact to all the commuters.
Should you have any further questions, pls feel free to contact me.

Tim Rudy

Captain Tim Rudy, Eastern District Commander
Prince William County Police Dept.
Gar-Field District Station
15948 Donald Curtis Dr.
Woodbridge, Va. 22191
Phone-703-792-7203/ Fax-703-792-4077
E-mail-trudy@pwcgov.org

CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2009 at 9:05am
The developer in question is Kettler. They were planning a huge development behind the Southbridge Development that included a Jack Nicklaus golf course and extending RT234 past Skips junkyard, through Southbridge. The name was originally Harbor Station but they have changed the name so many times I don't know what it is anymore. They started the plans when housing was booming with the caveat that 234 extension (of which the lot expansion was a part) didn't need to be completed until the 501st was built. Well last I heard there are less than 100 built. This would all have been avoided if Maureen would have taken the money Jeff Fredrick secured for us YEARS AGO and if she wasn't in the back pocket of residential developers.

CJ
SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 3:37pm
quote:
Originally posted by ddabney67

Hey folks! Please review the e-mail trail below.. . . (and I redacted the rest).

THANK YOU for contacting PWC constuctions. Hopefully, very soon, this goes out to bid on the original plan.

As you know, the current lot, about 4 acres in size, sits on 12 acres of state land. The State used their "legal taking" power to obtain what was a 12 acre parcel from the McDonald family (not the resturant, BTW, but a very old PWC family).

Maurheen Caddigan mucked up the plan by siding with the developer before or W/O doing any due dilligence. So, we are screwed for another year.

Also note, Chief Rudy is trying to bring some sanity into the lot. Sorry about that but play the game take a chance. Blocked in? Too bad I would say. I'd rather be blocked in than locked out.

SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 3:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

The developer in question is Kettler. . . They were planning a huge development . . . 234 extension (of which the lot expansion was a part) didn't need to be completed until the 501st was built. . . . This would all have been avoided if Maureen would have taken the money Jeff Fredrick secured for us YEARS AGO. . .

CJ

I'd beg you to correct your text. The 234 lot expansion was not part of the HS development. -- The 234 lot expansion was the commuter friendly idea from Jeff Frederick.

Go figure -- Maurheen puts KSI ahead of the working slobs that pay her tax base -- but not her campaign funds.

Call her office and let her know that we are sick of the lies!
(703) 792 4645

SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 3:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by SuzAnne

The PWC Police are threatening to ticket and tow cars parked in the designated overflow area of the 234 lot.

An officer was at the lot this am passing out a flyer:

Parking in designated spaces only.

Cars will be ticketed, towed or both if in violation.

DO NOT block or obstruct other vehicles or the right of way.

If you have any qquestions contact the Prince William County Police at 703-792-7203.

Hmmmm. I am really sick of the county and the way they treat commuters. Call Maureen Caddigan and ask why she has obstructed the use of $5.2M of STATE FUNDING that sits in her district, set aside to expand the lot.

Call her at 703 792 4645. [Correct TEL NO!]

Take NO EXCUSES.

Suzan

CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2009 at 10:36pm
yes Jeff Fredrick did come up with the ORIGINAL plan (and the money)but we were told at our home owners meeting that the expansion was on hold until the 234 expansion was underway because Kettler had agreed to make it part of the work they were doing. Since that was on hold so is the expansion.

CJ
sluglord View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluglord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:46pm
I once saw a car towed by police in the lot, by the time I ran to find the driver the wheels were already booted.
How are we expected to get to work and save money if people (drivers) Are running out of gas?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic