Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pentagon Police Blocking "Right Lane" Exit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentagon Police Blocking "Right Lane" Exit
    Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 7:32am
What was up with that guy not allowing people not going to the pentagon from going to the right side. I am talking about the 95 exit ramp. Traffic was backed up like crazy and it only hurt the situation more and did no good. He got a little scared though when a martz bus came flying down and he had to stop it and talk to the driver. Pentagon Police = Not so smart.

-Rob
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 12:15pm
Pentagon Police can do whatever they like until a Congressman calls. I know a bunch of you will say, PLEASE, and roll your eyes, but call Davis, Davis, and Moran and complain about this. There was absolutely NO NEED for these motorcycle police to "help out" with the morning commute. They should stick to the Rt 27/100 North Parking ramp where they have a nice place to pull people over.

BTW, the security office HATES getting called by the Congressmen who want only so badly to have Federal workers at work, vice tied up in traffic.

Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 1:12pm
Think its about time to email Davis. Thanks!

-Rob
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 1:12pm
What time was this? I didn't notice any police this morning when I got off on the ramp for the Pentagon
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 1:34pm
quote:
Originally posted by pplmvrs
[br]What time was this? I didn't notice any police this morning when I got off on the ramp for the Pentagon

Two motor cycle policemen, maybe Arlington, maybe Pentagon. Usually they sit on North Parking 27/110 ramp and look for expired stickers. They pull people over, then, on 110 or Boundary drive, where the road is super wide.

Today, at about 0730, they were working the 395 HOV Northbound, Pentagon exit ramp. Code of VA says it is illegal to have two cars in one lane and illegal to drive on shoulder. Like ducks in a barrel as drivers use the shoulder to queue, typically for a right turn into CCC but sometimes down right side and turn left into Pentagon.

Drivers do this five days a week, 365 a year. Improves flow of traffic. Cops decide they know what to do when they see a violation. My opinion, creating a mile or two unexpected backup on the HOV so you can write a ticket should also be a criminal offense and being dumb enough to try it (write the ticket and backup the traffic) should bar you from being a cop.

Fuller Underwood II
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 1:45pm
Sent this message to Congressman Davis. Feel free to use it as a quick template.

I am a daily commuter from the Horner road commuter lot to Crystal City. At the exit to the Pentagon off of 395 the ramp is legally a 1 lane road, but big enough for 2 commuter buses to pass each other. Everyday the traffic exiting here splits into 2 lanes. One lane turning left into the Pentagon and one lane turning right towards Arlington/Crystal City. This morning Pentagon Police were standing in the right section of the lane blocking traffic from splitting apart. This created a back log up to half a mile longer than normal. My commute was then extended by 10 minutes. It would make more sense for Pentagon police to sit at the bottom of the exit and guide traffic through the lanes instead of writing tickets and causing a back up. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you on this matter.

-Robert
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 2:00pm
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may use this link to your Congressman;

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Use this link to lookup and write your Senator.
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 2:21pm
Dear Congresswoman Davis;

I am a daily commuter from a Northern Virginia community to the Pentagon. I greatly favor all works that improve the flow of traffic and raise the per car density of the HOV lane. Today, Monday 7 February, the Pentagon Police took it upon themselves to write traffic tickets, ON THE HOV LANES, if drivers began to crowd the shoulder of "double up" side by side, on the exit ramp.

While I do not participate in either activity, drivers routinely do both as it improves the flow of traffic. This AM, the police, in their zest to issue tickets, caused a major backup, over two miles at its worst. The unexpected stoppage of traffic is a real danger. My commute was extended by 50 percent as we went creeping through the delay.

I humbly ask that you look into this matter and encourage the Pentagon police stick to assisting us, not impeding us. They should be fighting terror, not not aiding to create the terror my passengers felt as the car to our front "panic braked" and I fought to bring my car-pooling, HOV-3 vehicle to a most unexpected, but controlled, stop.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you on this matter.
PC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 3:18pm
They were keeping the idiot drivers who pull to the right WAY before time. I always use the right lane and wait my turn to pull into the right lane only to see some idiot already speeding down the shoulder behind and to the right of me...this is dangerous!
The real solution is to remark the lane into 2 lanes one for a right hand turn the other for a left hand turn and put a cop at the bottom of the hill directing traffic or at least make it a 4 way stop.

PC
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 3:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by PC
The real solution is to remark the lane into 2 lanes one for a right hand turn the other for a left hand turn and put a cop at the bottom of the hill directing traffic or at least make it a 4 way stop.

I cast my vote in favor of making it into a roundabout instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic