Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heat Wave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonka Truck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat Wave
    Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 1:53pm
Something I find a little annoying as a Slug. Now that we are getting into the cooler months we slugs need to dress for the cooler climate. I find that a driver will have their heat turned up to make it comfortable for them in there shirt while we have heavy coats on to provide us warmth while standing in the long lines. I feel a little uncomfortable asking the driver to turn down the heat and/or take the time before I get into the vehicle to remove my coat. Has anyone else run into this situation or I’m I just being difficult?[V]
noellesk8r View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noellesk8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 1:59pm
This has been a subject for drivers and riders alike on both sides.

My experience, I've been a rider for almost 5 years, and I've learned to dress in layers (instead of a big bulky outter coat) to stay warm during the wait in line, but then to be able to remove a layer to be cooler in the car.

WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 4:36pm
I am very sensitive to heat and I have already come across this overheating issue a few times. I usually just suck it up and use the heat to lull myself to sleep. Personally, I would rather just deal with it instead of risking offending the driver then having them be slightly annoyed during the drive. But I will surely speak up if they ask.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2004 at 9:13am
Being a Sponge, it's the cold that gets to me. Sometimes you will jump in a car when it's 50 degrees outside and the driver will have the AC on. That's always pleasant. Nothing like a blast of super-dry cold air on your sinuses in January!

OK. Enough whining everyone. Back to work.

We are Slugs. We can Shut Up and Take It.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2004 at 1:03pm
I always take my coat off before I get into a car and I also bought a personal fan to keep me cool during the trip.
Geezehead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2004 at 1:50pm
As a driver - I have never been a rider - I would prefer slugs to tell me what they want/need. I will always have things set to my liking only because I cannot guess for anyone else. If the request is not resonable for me I would deal with it then. Never have I been asked for something that was not reasonable.

Don't feel bashful folks - alot of times I am sitting there wondering if everyone is comfortable. When occasionally I ask, the slugs usually reply "just fine". Hope that helps
KatieM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2004 at 3:07pm
I too, have been the victim of blazing enfernos on wheels. I'll never forget the time I rode with a woman I named "The Church Lady." (Haven't seen her in years.) One extremely bitter winter morning, I climbed into her van in my big, black wool coat. She didn't have a coat on -- that's usually my "uh-oh..." signal. The heat was on the highest setting, being delivered by a full blast fan right in my face. (Contact wearers can attest to how miserable that is.)

All the way to the Pentagon she sang to her gospel music on the radio. Sometimes, the Spirit moved her to clap her hands. This left the driving to her co-pilot: a stuffed teddy bear wedged into the space between the top of the steering wheel and the horn section.

Although I'd shrugged off coat, I was still sweating. My contacts had dried out. My head had started to hurt. I was feeling queasy. Church Lady sang on. Teddy did most of the driving. It was one of the rides where I felt I should fall down and kiss the ground of the parking lot when she dropped us off.

Moral of the story: Slugging, like Life, is a crap shoot. You never know what you're going to get. As for saying we get our rides "for free," au contrair! But hey! I can endure anything for 25 minutes or so. Additionally, my co-workers so enjoy the mornings I come in with, "You're not going to BELIEVE this one!" After 16 years, I've had my share of those "special" rides. :)
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2004 at 4:04pm
funny story
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2004 at 7:28am
"Moral of the story: Slugging, like Life, is a crap shoot. You never know what you're going to get. As for saying we get our rides "for free," au contrair! But hey! I can endure anything for 25 minutes or so. Additionally, my co-workers so enjoy the mornings I come in with, "You're not going to BELIEVE this one!" After 16 years, I've had my share of those "special" rides. :)" - KatieM, Nov 9, 2004

Agree with KatieM's 'crap shoot' comment -- slugging is a sort of hitchhiking - you just never know who's gonna pick you up from the ole commuter lot. Maybe that's why the state of Maryland doesn't encourage slugging and justifies their position under an anti-hitchhiking law. So, Northern Virgininans, keep on sluggin' ! [;)]
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:44am
Well as a driver, my coat is uaually stowed away. Its comfortable for me so if your hot, start removing the coat to adjust.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic