Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV cheats, beware!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV cheats, beware!
    Posted: 24 Dec 2003 at 7:39am
Number of tickets initally more than doubled.

The Associated Press
WFLS News
Date published: 12/23/2003

(Undated-AP) -- HOV cheats, beware! Virginia State Police are issuing more tickets to drivers who have no business in the car pool lanes on Interstates 95 and 66.
When they first increased enforcement in July, the rate at which troopers handed out tickets more than doubled -- from 40-a-day to 90.

This month, don't expect any holiday break.
According to published on December ninth, 118 tickets were written for HOV violations. Two days later, troopers wrote 148 tickets.

A state police spokesman tells the paper the number of complaints about violators is down, so the enforcement is working.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2003 at 8:21am
quote:
Originally posted by swichowski
[br]Number of tickets initally more than doubled.

The Associated Press
WFLS News

(snipped for brevity)
A state police spokesman tells the paper the number of complaints about violators is down, so the enforcement is working.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

*Really*??? [:0] I haven't seen a single enforcement action in the 395/95S lanes in over a month, and this during the height of the rush hour (1700-1800) which of late, seems to be a bogey rich environment...[;)]

- Will
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2003 at 9:33am
I left the Pentagon at 4:20PM yesterday and saw SEVERAL violators pulled over on our way South. [:)] I normally leave about 5 to 5:30PM, so this was an early day for me.

Due to the congestion([V]), we exited the HOV at the 234 exit (continued South on the main lines), and saw a couple more pulled over in the HOV backup[:)] (talk about adding insult to injury). We thought it was hilarious - not only were the violators not going anywhere fast in the backup, but the cops were handing them tickets for being where they didn't belong[:D][:D]. GREAT! I could see it then - sitting by your lonely self in non-moving HOV traffic when a cop knocks on your window to hand you ticket for being in the HOV lanes (or better yet, the cop sticks it under your windshield wiper like a parking ticket!).
dcpswebgod View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcpswebgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2003 at 1:37pm
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]I left the Pentagon at 4:20PM yesterday and saw SEVERAL violators pulled over on our way South. [:)] I normally leave about 5 to 5:30PM, so this was an early day for me.

I also have seen more of Virginia's finest out passing out holiday citations[:D] They just are not as "in force" as they where a couple of months ago. I have even seen an officer walk up to a car at the end of HOV back up and hand the driver a ticket without pulling the driver out of line.

tarmacevo8 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmacevo8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2003 at 6:19pm
I usually leave work around 3:30 or so, and during December, I have seen noticeably increased enforcement along the I-95 and I-395 HOV lanes in both the morning and evening. On some days, the State Troopers were 2 and 3 thick at the Rt. 1 and PW Parkway (Horner Lot) exits. There were even some Fairfax County cops helping out. They have been writing lots of tickets. Some people never learn... [:D]
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2004 at 12:37pm
Where were the police this morning between 7:15 and 7:35am on 95 between Springfield and Pentagon. Those with math skills will figure the roughly ten mile distance took us about 20 minutes, an average bumper-to-bumper speed of only 30 miles per hour. In addition to heavy traffic we counted no less than 10 HOV violaters (not including law enforcement singles, what's up with that?) and a bunch of single rider hybrids. Something's got to give!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic