Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quiet car program for HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quiet car program for HOV
    Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 4:37pm
I noticed that VRE has started a "Quiet Car program" for its trains. Apparently, VRE has one car on every train where they don't allow cell phone use, talking, or any other noises that might disturb other riders.

I was thinking, how about starting that for the slugging community[?] I know we already have rules that help keep down on the noise, like having the driver initiate conversations. But that doesn't affect cell phone use or other noises. Maybe drivers can designate themselves as quiet cars with a sign or something. Then it will be understood by all riders that the driver wants a quiet ride to work.

Just a thought.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 7:19am
A totally non-talking, uneventful ride for 30 - 45 minutes [?] I think this is taking things a little too far. Sure, too much talking and too loud of a conversation can be annoying, but to get in and know that you must be (or shall I say expected), not to talk, chat, or whatever you want to call it, I think, is going a little too far. Whatever happened to the ever so polite "How's it going?" [:)]
sancochojoe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sancochojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 7:20am
Won't happen.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 8:30am
It took many years to reach the point of being comfortable withdrawing into my own thoughts without noise for company or a constant stream of activities to keep me from looking inward. Quiet is a luxury I treasure, and I appreciate drivers who don't expect me to talk between "Good morning" and "Thank you." I don't mind the radio low or some conversation, but I don't fear the silence.
RW View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 8:33am
Although I beleive this is an excellent idea, I don't think it will work.

rw
SKCRAB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 9:18am
Not a bad idea, but I think we could have some other categories too: "No-Perfume/Cologne Car" "Rowdy Car", "Fast Car", "Slow Car", "Clean Car", "Filthy Car" "Food and Beverage Welcome", "No Food or Drink", "Drink but no food", "No Fingernail Filing Zone". I have often considered taping a list of my own personal slug rules to the space in front of slugs to conform with the type of environment I want to have. I have also considered putting cleaning supplies in the backseat so instead of complaining taht my car was dirty, slugs could go ahead and clean it up--afterall, the only people making my car dirty (other than my driver's space) is my slugs.

The fantasy worlds we dream up during our helacious rides/drives in. . . .
sancochojoe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sancochojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 11:54am
Bench Seat Trucks, 2 door sports cars.....
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2003 at 11:23am
SKCRAB, thanks for your sarcastic and derisive comments. The ironic thing is that all of those categories you satirically created and mentioned in your post are actually things that I have heard people, especially drivers, complain about on numerous occasions.

Anyway, I made the suggestion only because of things I have read on other messages boards, particularly regarding cell phone use. Would it ever work? Probably not. But at least I’m trying to offer constructive ideas for those posters who rant and rave about what other drivers/riders are doing. Constructive vs. destructive posts: there’s quite a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by SKCRAB
[br]Not a bad idea, but I think we could have some other categories too: "No-Perfume/Cologne Car" "Rowdy Car", "Fast Car", "Slow Car", "Clean Car", "Filthy Car" "Food and Beverage Welcome", "No Food or Drink", "Drink but no food", "No Fingernail Filing Zone". I have often considered taping a list of my own personal slug rules to the space in front of slugs to conform with the type of environment I want to have. I have also considered putting cleaning supplies in the backseat so instead of complaining taht my car was dirty, slugs could go ahead and clean it up--afterall, the only people making my car dirty (other than my driver's space) is my slugs.

The fantasy worlds we dream up during our helacious rides/drives in. . . .

KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2003 at 12:39pm
I don't think he intended his comments to come off as sarcastic. It appeared to me that he was merely expanding on your idea. Chill out!!
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2003 at 2:35pm
With the weather being what it is, it shouldn't be a problem chilling...

But back to the original post - maybe each location can create a line for mimes for the drivers that want no verbal communication?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic