Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

610 jumping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 610 jumping
    Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 9:03am
What is it that people are jumping the line to pick up slugs? I got out of the car today at 7:30 am to politely explain which way the DC-Crystal line was supposed to go (thinking maybe he was new at picking up) and got an ear full- "the line goes both ways" is what I was told and the gentleman behind, also jumping the line, yells out the window at me that "this is the way the line goes, that way crosses the lane and is wrong". This is getting way out of hand. Does VDOT have a map of how the line should flow so I can have some proof next time? I can't find one on their site.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 9:22am
Slugging is an informal, unregulated system of organized hitch-hiking. The rules are that there are no rules - just common courtesies. There are suggestions as to how people should behave posted on this site, for those who need to be told.

That being said, these high gas prices, the end of hybrid exemptions, etc. as bringing out slugs in record numbers.

Drivers get frustrated when the lines don't move due to people not being on-the-ball. This morning for example, (twice) a man 5 or so back in line was walking up to the cars to see where they were going (because the first 4 idiots wouldn't move their butts). He became a will call for me and got a ride ahead of space-cadets 1 through 4).

When drivers get frustrated by a non-moving line, when there are plenty of slugs, they will get creative. Alternate paths, alternate pickup techniques (including body-snatching).

610 is particularly problematic since there are so many slugs there. I've sat as the first car in line, while 10 slugs stood in the cold, all because they wanted Rosslyn instead of the Pentagon. None of them were walking back more than one or two cars to find out where the rest of the cars were going.

Pentagon is obviously the easiest slug destination. Somewhere along 14th seems like the second. If you're able to get a ride to one of those destinations, take it and use the metro or bus for the rest of the trip.

If you think of it from a drivers perspective, you will understand. Hauling slugs saves me 15 minutes. If I spend 15 trying to pick up slugs, I have not benefitted. I may as well have sat in SOV lanes, where I would have been free to have a couple of smokes, and listened to my radio, and chatted on my cell phone, etc.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 9:24am
VDOT does not administer or regulate slug lines (nor do we want them to). Don't think there's maps on the VDOT site for commuter lot flow either. Signs are provided at the Pentagon in order to establish a more orderly flow of traffic in a congested parking area.

The Old 610 lot does have a couple entrances. An attempt is made to arrange an orderly flow of traffic in order to get vehicles all flowing in one entrance and thus preclude the line jumping. It all still operates out of courtesy and understanding of what is best for all.

The best you can hope for there is to get folks complying voluntarily rather than having someone mandate the "right way". Some additional signs may be of help, but enforcement will still not be there to make sure folks comply.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 10:22am
The "old" lot has always been a bit confusing due to its size and multiple destinations. If you are having such a bad time picking up slugs there, try the Mine road lot. There are only two lines, which via suggestions from this web site, was split from one about a year ago, to help curb the DC/Pentagon area confusion. Sorry for your bad experience.

GMHP was hea!
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 2:16pm
I second the Mine Rd lot. It's a very smooth process in the mornings, regardless of time or destination. Since the split, it's just gotten better.

SHAKE1T
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 7:55am
NOT so smooth in the afternoon when all the vehicles are illegally parked and blocking the aisles.

NoSb

Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 8:40am
SO SO SO TRUE NoSb!! Its frustrating enough attempting to get out of that parking lot without being run down by speeding drivers, add the obstacle of squeezing around illegally parked cars, and its just a fun fun place to be at 5:30!!!

Smile, its almost Friday!

GMHP was hea!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 9:56am
Don't they ticket the bejeezus out of illegal parkers? At Horner, if you look with desire at an unpainted, unmarked curb spot, one where you won't block anybody or impede traffic, you get a ticket for impure thoughts.

What you're describing may be troublesome, but at least you all are maximizing the number of vehicles taken off the road and extending the slug pick-up time closer to 9:00.

I'd trade that for Horner, which is full by 7:10.
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 10:05am
I tell you spongy, you are bendable and squishable, so I see why you would trade. But I'd rather see all the fools who block the driving lanes and impede our vision towed or ticketed. Either show up earlier with the rest of us, or park at the old lot dang it!!!

I have stated in a prior posting I feel they could extend the lot a few rows, since many with trucks "make" their own space on the grass up over the curbs anyway.

And WHY are there SO MANY handicapped spots? Is there a state/county law that states a mandatory amount of spots needed in a parking lot?

Anyone that shops at Target on 610 knows they are a culprit for too many handicapped spaces. Really. (off topic I know, but it gets to me every time I shop there!)

GMHP was hea!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 11:28am
Sometimes it almost takes a spotter to direct me thru the narrow space left to get between the illegally parked vehicles. Don't know if it's justifiable to break the law in order to support slugging/commuting though--just doesn't ring true as being "right".

Sponge, the enforcement comes and goes in both lots. I think they wait until folks' habits are into parking illegally and then they get to issue a massive amount of tickets to make it worth their while monetarily to enforce (all of that is supposition, nothing to substantiate that claim).

Yes GMHP, there are a required number of handicapped parking spaces in a given sized parking lot. Thing is, like at Target, they're all concentrated so it does look like a larger number than if they were dispersed. It's not like it would do much good to put all the handicapped spaces the furthest away from the store. True, we wouldn't notice them if they were further away from the store entrances, but then it would be a bit counter-purpose to do that don'tcha think? (couldn't find the code that addresses parking lots for you, sorry)

Placing the handicapped spaces in the commuter lots does the same, concentrates them in our line-of-sight as we get to walk past them all the time and become acutely aware of them when not in use.

NoSb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic